Second Mission of Istanbul
(June 30th – July 2nd 2000)
A concert was held at the Theological School of Halki with Nadia Weinberg.
Our 180 friends participated.
Head of the event
- Skandalidis Konstantinos, General Secretary Of PASOK
- Alachiotis Stamatios, Rector of the University of Patra
- Stathis Petros, Managing Director, PAE AEK
- Tatsis Konstantinos, Prefect of Kavala, Representative of New Democracy
The program “Ecumenical Hellenism” held a series of events in Istanbul in the context of the launch of its second period of work. The mission was held in a troubled time for the City and before the approach for a Greek-Turkish friendship, began.
The team participated in the following events:
- Visit – Pilgrimage to St. Sophia
- Monitoring the Divine Liturgy in the Patriarchal Church of St. George at the Phanar
- Ceremony in the Hall of the Patriarchal Throne, for the delivery of the first volume of the Holy Pilgrimages – Towers of Orthodoxy, a project under the blessing of the Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew. A 12-member delegation of the mission visited the Patriarchal Bank.
- A prayer for Peace took place in the Holy Mountain of Blachernae by the Metropolitan of Laodicea Iakovos and chanted “The Hypermachus Stratigo” where it was first chanted in 626 AC calling for the salvation of the King by the Avars.
- Visit, tour of the Great School, the Monastery of Chora and Mother Mary of Mouchliotissa.